The answer to this question depends, of course, on the details of your insurance policy. If the policy explicitly states that your insurer will pay only for damage to the physical premises, but not to your merchandise, then you're out of luck (and, next time, you'll know to secure your inventory in a dry place in advance of an approaching storm).

Usually, though, matters aren't as cut-and-dried as this. In the wake of a major weather event, your insurance company may be juggling literally thousands of claims from home and business owners. It's in the company's interest to pay out as little money as possible, since every dollar it uses to reimburse policy holders is a dollar subtracted from its bottom line. That's why your insurance company representative is called a “claims adjuster”—he inspects the premises, and the circumstances of your damage, and “adjusts” the payout down from the maximum amount allowed by your policy.

If you feel that you are unfairly being lowballed by your insurance company—which is willing to pay you $15,000 to repair your walls, but not $25,000 for your now-useless stock of toys, electronics, or women's clothing—you need to retain the services of an experienced Texas insurance attorney who can go over your insurance policy with a fine-toothed comb and hold the insurance company responsible for your losses. Jim Zadeh has almost three decades of experience representing policyholders in the Dallas–Fort Worth area, and will go toe-to-toe with your insurer to maximize your payout. Intrigued? Contact Jim today at 888-713-5418 to find out what he can do for you!

Jim M. Zadeh
Connect with me
Attorney at Law