State law requires that a driver have liability coverage only. This covers the other driver in case you are at fault. Liability is all that is required. 

But we highly recommend that each driver get two additional coverages: (1) personal injury protection (“PIP”) and (2) underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM).

PIP insurance requires your insurance company to pay your medical bills and lost wages up to a certain amount (typically $1,000-$5,000) regardless of whose fault the collision is.  

UM/UIM coverage requires your insurance company to pay you for any damages caused by the other driver if the other driver does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance. Since some studies show up to 40% of texas motorists do not have insurance coverage, this insurance can cover you if an uninsured driver crashes into you and it wasn’t your fault. 

Jim M. Zadeh
Connect with me
Attorney at Law